What is Evolution?
- Macro – Evolution = Molecules to Man; Species producing new Species)
- Micro – Evolution = Changes within a “Kind” or Family” – Species
Micro-Evolution is completely legitimate. Macro-Evolution is in conflict with the Scriptures.
My heart breaks for the Bill Nyes of the world and I want them to repent of their sins and come to Christ. But I am not ultimately shocked by the Bill Nyes. They do not see the things of God nor do they value the Word of God.
I am shocked by the third group of people who were not represented on that panel. There are people who believed that God designed evolution. This group says they believe the Bible while also maintaining that God used evolution during the creation process. My goal is to show you that a middle way is no way. There is no room for compromise. Either his words are trustworthy or they are not. I am going to argue that it is impossible for God to have used evolution (molecules to man) because he says that is not how he created.
1. Darwinian Evolution is Contradictory to Genesis
- John 5:45-47 – You cannot believe in Jesus and reject Moses. “For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?”
- Genesis is different than Psalms. This is why it is so important to know how to study the bible. Different genres teach different things. Psalms teaches something different than exodus. Certainly there is poetry in the Torah, but it is markedly different than this. This came up in the Bill Nye Debate – Ken Ham is not arguing for a literal interpretation of every verse of the Bible. Instead, Ham is arguing for literal interpretations in genres that are intended by the author to be literal.
- Genesis 1:24-26
- “Kind” = Family (Feline. Canine.Ect)
- Genesis 7:14
- Genesis 1:26-27 (Different categories: Fish, birds, livestock, creeping things)
2. Darwinian Evolution is Contrary to God’s Character
- “The secrets of evolution are time and death.” – Carl Sagan (Cosmos, part 2: One voice in the cosmic fugue)
Death is essential for evolution. The struggle for survival and the need to adapt is at the heart of the evolutionary process. To say that God created through evolution is to say that God used death, disease and destruction in the creation process.
The Fossil Record shows:
- The fossil record reveals death, cancer, tumors, thorns and bloodshed. These are all fossils that Theistic Evolutionists have to say existed before man sinned. How could God have used these death and disease to create when he calls all of his creative works “very good” in Genesis 1:25?
- These are not compatible with the word or character of God
- Why would Romans 8 say the creation is groaning for redemption if this was what it was like in the perfect Garden of Eden? (Romans 8:18-22)
3. Darwinian Evolution Conflicts with the Gospel
- Romans 5:12
- Historical Adam – the New Testament authors assume that Adam was a real literal human being.
- 1 Corinthians 15:26
- 1 Corinthians 15:45
- Adapted from Ken Ham: Death cannot be the penalty of sin if God used evolution. Death certainly cannot be the last enemy – its actually a friend to the theistic evolutionist.
- There is no middle ground. You must come to the conclusion that some issues for you are not open to debate. There are some issues that you never have to make a decision on. You will never have to make a definite choice of vanilla over chocolate. You can go back and forth, back and forth, one day this, one day that. However, there are some things in which you need to drive a flag into the ground and stand by it. There are a few things in life that you need to count on. You need to make a decision about whether you will believe God’s Word from the very beginning of Genesis. Either God is who he said he is – or he is not. You cannot sit on the fence on this one.
- We must trust God from the very beginning. God is the same yesterday and today and forever. We must believe his word and not compromise in any area.
- We must have faith seeking knowledge. We need to have intellectual answers because this is what God requires of us. To think critically in faith. Not critically against faith. But faith seeking knowledge.
- Ideas have consequences. What you believe about Genesis 1 affects what you believe about Romans 5. If you compromise in one area, you might just be compromising in another.
Small Group Discussion:
- Have you considered the importance of Genesis before? How does our previous study on Genre affect a person’s interpretation of Genesis?
- Are you a person with convictions? Do you have a hard time standing for truth?
- Are you seeking truth with eyes of faith? Or are you seeking truth with a skeptical heart?
- How does the biblical teaching that we are made in the image of God impact how we view ourselves and others? How does this differ from the teaching of Darwinism that we are simply higher animals?