The Bible assumes the God exists.
- Genesis 1:1
The Bible condemns unbelief. (What is at stake?)
- Psalm 14:1 – How we answer this question determines whether we are wise or foolish.
- 1 John 5:10 – How we answer this question determines whether God is honest or a liar
- John 3:36 – How we answer this question determines whether we are eternally saved or eternally condemned.
Evidential Arguments – uses logic and reason to examine the facts. This is like an investigator or an inspector.
- Psalm 19:1
If mankind is so important, why are we on the edge of a random galaxy in the midst of 100,000 galaxies? It seems we are an accident! Carl Sagan, “A lonely speck in the magnitude of the universe.” This is one way to answer this question. Or it could be that we are to be humble and we are insignificant in comparison to God!
Everything around us has a cause.
- You look at a piece of art and you assume a creator. You look at a complex machine and you assume a builder. (Hebrews 3:4) This makes complete scientific, rational, and logical sense.
Everything has a purpose.
- It appears that we live in a fine tuned universe. It appears that Earth was created with the purpose of sustaining life. Is there something unique about the earth?
- There are too many factors that have to be set up at the right time in the right proportion that would make us believe Earth happened by chance. More are on the audio, but here are just a few taken from the Privileged Planet:
- Liquid water – too hot, vapor. Too cold – freezes. Too much pressure, evaporates. Be able to absorb heat and be dissolvable. Removes heat temperature from the earth.
- Habitable zone. – there is a small region (5% closer, we would be like Venus – 900 degrees) (20% away, we would be like Mars with frozen water) This is the sweet spot in our solar system.
- Terrestrial planet – 40 – 30 miles thick. Any thicker and we could not have tectonic plate movements. (there has to be about 12 of them in the earth and the recycle the carbon that is necessary for life.) There needs to be the right amount of tectonic plates in order for it to recycle the air. If these combinations do not work all at the same time, life cannot exist.
- Magnetic field – if any smaller – could not protect from radiation of the sun. We would be like Mars with a smaller planet.
- Large Moon. Our moon is large compared to others. The moon controls the tides. The waves would come from Texas and hit Canada if the moon was a different size. We could not have seasons and our temperature would be drastically different. The whole planet could be Antarctica or the Arabian desert. Our sun is 400x larger than our moon. Yet it is 400x further away. This means a solar eclipse is possible. The sun and the moon fit perfectly from our perspective.
Philosophical Arguments – use philosophy and foundational questions to prove the existence of God.
- Every person has been built with a moral meter
- Are morals determined by the majority or by an outside source?
- Atheist cannot say something is wrong or sinful. They can say it is not in the best interest of society, but they cannot say something is intrinsically wrong. A consistent atheist cannot say Adolf Hitler was wrong.
- There is something in every human that grates against injustice and says lying is wrong. A Darwinist could say that this is done to enhance survival of the fittest, but this does not make the most sense. It may not always be in my best interest to tell the truth. It may not always benefit society for me to remain faithful to my wife or to submit to my governing authorities. Jesus says the road to eternal life is hard and there are few that find it. This makes more sense of the moral compass in our hearts.
- Your soul will never be satisfied apart from God (The book of Ecclesiastes)
- Search and search for meaning and purpose in life and you will not find it outside of the gospel of Jesus.
- Life is utterly pointless if there is nothing after death. Let us eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die. (1 Corinthians 15:31-32)
- Atheists have the despairing reality of never knowing if they are right.
- How do you know that we really exist? How do you know that I am actually having a conversation with you right now? How do you know that we are not a part of some grand experiment by aliens and we are actually attached to a machine and being harvested? The reality is, the atheist cannot fully know truth. In fact, no one can truly know truth unless they know everything. Or unless they trust in someone who does know everything. God knows whether or not there are aliens docked outside a nearby galaxy sucking out our brains. And he has told us there isn’t. He has told us we are real and that our life matters.
- Christians should be the most humble and confident people in the universe.
- Christians should live like theists and not atheists.
- Skeptics should repent of their unbelief and worship their creator.
Small Group Discussion:
- Which of arguments mentioned tonight sticks with you the most? Did you disagree with any of the arguments?
- In what ways do you believe God exists but live like he does not?
- Do you find yourself being filled with pride or humility because of these facts?
- If a friend asked you how do you know God is real, in your own words explain your answer.