Week 3: The Bible’s Necessity (Parent’s Notes)
1) The Bible is Necessary for Salvation.
- Romans 10:13-7
- John 3:18
General Revelation: God’s Works that reveal himself.
Specific Revelation: God’s Words that reveal himself.
- Psalm 19
- Acts 14:16-16
- Romans 1:19-21
Your parents are driving down the road at night. Its raining, dark, and dreary. In the corner of your eye you happen to see a yellow sign that says the bridge ahead is out! But you were the only one in the car that saw it! You are the only one that knows the bridge is out and your family is about to drive into death. Thankfully, you tell your family and are saved. You were seconds away from driving by in total ignorance. This would have ended in a tragic accident. Ignorance would have been death.
- God holds us accountable for sins that we don’t know about.
- Ignorance is not bliss. It is death.
- Leviticus 4:2-4
- Hosea 4:6
2) The Bible is necessary to fight temptation.
- Matthew 4:4
- Jesus used the Scriptures to combat the devil’s temptation.
- We need the Bible more than sleep. We need the Bible more than food!
“Just as our physical lives are maintained by daily nourishment with physical food, so our spiritual lives are maintained by daily nourishment with the Word of God.” – Grudem
3) The Bible is necessary for joy.
- Psalm 1
- Nehemiah chapter 8
- The Bible had been neglected while the people of Israel were in captivity.
- The people wanted to hear the Word of God so badly, they listened for six hours while standing! Nehemiah 8:3.
Small Group Discussion:
1. Have you ever responded to the Bible the way the Israelites did in the Nehemiah chapter 8? Has the Bible moved you to tears? Has the Bible caused you to rejoice? (share briefly)
2. Do you take the Bible for granted? If so, in what ways is this evident in your life?
3. What are some temptations you faced last week? What Scriptures could help you this week in these areas?
4. In the Nehemiah 8:8, the people of Israel had more mature men and women explaining the Scriptures to them. Have you invited anyone into your personal life to do this with you? (If not, encourage them to think this week about someone in church they could approach)